POSITION VACANCY: Full-Time
Dorothy Gerber Strings Program Educator and Director
The Charlevoix Circle of Arts in conjunction with the Dorothy Gerber Foundation Strings Program (DGSP) is seeking a Music Education Director and String Educator Specialist to begin summer of 2017. This is a salaried, full-time position reporting to the Executive Director (ED). Applicants need to be able to assist the ED in developing a vibrant program in conjunction with Charlevoix Emmet County School system and other orchestral groups.
1. Serve as Music Education Director, strings teacher and conductor for the Dorothy Gerber Strings Program.
2. Work with the participating school systems to develop a program that meets the teaching needs of the program with consideration to the scheduling needs of the schools
3. Develop a teaching schedule to be divided between the Director and Assistant Director and additional staff along with the Executive Director to provide strings education to multiple northern Michigan school districts including: Beaver Island, Pellston, Alanson, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Boyne City, Boyne Falls, East Jordan, Ellsworth, and potentially more Classes are generally designated as: Beginning Strings: entry level students generally 3-5thgrade Intermediate Strings: generally junior high school students
4. Conduct DGSP “introduction to the program” seminars and auditions to determine the placement of students into appropriate levels of instruction and into appropriate performance ensembles
5. Determine repertoire and oversee the Dorothy Gerber Strings Program Ensembles Concert Orchestra: students who have played a minimum of 2 years Chamber Orchestra: a smaller group of advanced students, high school level Symphony Orchestra: Chamber Orchestra players combined with local wind, brass and percussion as well as any adults who may be invited.
6. Develop and coordinate planning and implementation of all DGSP programs and initiatives in close collaboration with the ED
7. Work with and supervise the Assistant Director in the implementation of the DGSP
8. Communicate instrumentation and equipment needs to the ED and work together to fill the needs of the DGSP
9. Develop and execute a Summer Strings Program
1. Assist the ED in developing and maintaining budgets for DGSP and developing the annual calendar including rehearsals and events
2. Maintain the music library with DGSP Assistant Director
3. Work with implementing the registration system, scholarship program and musical instrument rental needs of parents
4. Work closely with the ED to toward maintaining the integrity of the annual budget to while working within program guidelines
5. Communicate with DGSP members in regard to concert related information
6. Plan and direct recruitment efforts with the assistance of the DGSP Assistant Director
7. Speak publicly when called upon to do so as an advocate for the DGSP and provide leadership in the arts community as relates to DGSP for youth
Special Skills Requirements
1. Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and standards in youth orchestra management
2. Maintain effective communication with DGSP members, parents and DGSP staff
3. Demonstrate a willingness to be a flexible and committed team-member with the DGSP staff and the Charlevoix Circle of Arts staff and volunteers
4. Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
5. Maintain current understanding of and effectively utilization of CCA computer programs. Excel/Word skills and other computer programs necessary for daily communication and work
Bachelor of Music in Music Education, Strings Major minimum with at least two years’ experience leading an orchestra. Master’s degree in Music Performance, Conducting, or Music Education preferred, with at least two years’ experience leading an orchestra and strong pedagogical skills on all stringed instruments.
Accepting applicants until the position is filled. If interested please submit a letter of interest, letters of reference and a resume to:
Gail DeMeyere / Executive Director 109 Clinton Street, Charlevoix, MI 49720 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Opportunities at the Circle!